Who could resist these gorgeous plums?
On my "cheap entertainment" trip to the library recently, I picked up several books: Julia and Jaques: Cooking at Home, Once Upon a Tart (which I will probably buy because I am in love with it) and The Complete Book and Small Batch Preserving (Topp & Howard).
I decided to try the Plum Butter recipe...small batch is just my speed...
10 plums, sliced
1 cup water
1. Place plums and water in a medium stainless steel or enamel saucepan. Bring to a full boil over high heat, cover, reduce heat and simmer for 20 minutes or until plums are tender, stirring occasionally.
2. Place plum mixture in a food processor or blender and process until almost smooth. Measure and return to saucepan. For each 1 cup of plums, add 1 1/4 cups of sugar. Tie cinnamon and cloves in a spice bag and add to saucepan.
3. Return plum mixture to a boil, reduce heat and boil gently, uncovered, until mixture is very thick, stirring frequently.
4. Discard spice bag; stir in nutmeg (if using).
5. Ladle into hot jars and process for 10 minutes (click here for basic processing instructions)
Makes about 3 cups
These three jars are gifts...of course I had a little leftover, so I'll put that in the fridge and have it on top of ice cream!